What else can cause headaches? And, what can you do to combat them?
1. Your Weight. The risk of headaches can increase with the size of your waist. Getting below a BMI of 30 can decrease your risk of headache by 35%.
2. Your Personality. Being an anxious and inflexible person can lead you to have a greater number of headaches. Try yoga or meditation to boost your mood.
3. Your Weekend. Sleeping in and lounging about sounds like fun on days Monday through Friday, but it can mean a heck of a headache come Saturday and Sunday. Try to stick to your regular bed routine and try to get outside the house on weekends.
4. Your Fluid Intake. Dehydration can lead to really, really bad headaches. Make sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables as these are the foods that have the highest water content. You don’t need to drown in glass after glass of H20 — just choose to eat the right foods.
5. Your Sleep. Sleeping an average of six hours a night can lead to more headaches than sleeping an average of 8 hours a night. Catch your Zzzz’s!
6. Your Food Intake. Skipping meals can make you irritable and headache prone. Best foods to prevent headaches: Spinach, tofu, oat bran, barley, fish oil, olive oil, white beans, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
7. Your Position Relative to Sea Level. High altitudes and flying can lead to headaches due to pressure changes. A recent study shows that taking 600mg of Ibuprofen prior to the altitude change can help! (On an aside, whenever I fly, I take 4 to 8 Ibuprofen prior to boarding the plane. I used to get killer migraines when flying and haven’t *knock on wood* since I started this routine!)
Any of you out there get frequent headaches? What have you found works?